THE DUOMO (or collegiate)
Dedicated to Saint Nicholas from Bari (Soriano’s patron saint), it is a majestic, neo-classic construction designed by the roman Giulio Camporese and completed between 1782 and 1791. Previously on that area there used to be two small, ancient churches dedicated to Saint Annunziata and Saint Eutizio, whose memory has been preserved by the presence of two statues placed on two roman bases. Its was built when the existing village-duomo (today saint Eutizio’s) became too small. It must have been a rather complex work as the site was particularly uneven. To level out the twenty- metre difference in elevation between the rear of the compound’s foothold to the outside of the building and the churchyard, a solid, foundation, bastion wall was needed. The Church, a Greek cross layout with three aisles, features a peculiar brick façade and two bell towers. The interiors are also remarkable. There is a late-Gothic marble statue depicting Saint Anthony Abbot and a Renaissance baptismal font. Inside the rectory there is also an interesting tryptich dating back to the 15th century. Since September 2014, there has been a relic of Saint John Paul II.