SAINT EUTIZIO’S CHURCH
Originally dedicated to Saint Nicholas, it has represented Soriano’s Duomo since the 19th century. Its medieval structure – which can still be seen in the outer limits and the apse – underwent massive transformation during the Renaissance, as attested by numerous decorative elements onto the right, external wall. It was in 1719 that the Church, under the direction of the Albans, (whose crest has been placed atop of the façade) gained its current appearance. Built in the 15th century, the bell tower surmounted by a cusp, and featuring two sets of mullioned windows, (approximately 34mt high) has underwent major changes over time, as well. The interiors of the Church – featuring one navy and a rectangular plan – are particularly noteworthy: the baroque high altar with marble-inlay antependium and engraved tabernacle; a marble oil dispenser dating 15th century, traditionally attributed to Andrea Bregno, with engravings depicting the dove of the Holy Spirit, the baptism of Jesus, and two angels: the first altarpiece on the left portrays S.Giuseppe in Gloria, S. Francesco Saverio, S. Antonio da Padova and San Carlo Borromeo – work of the famous Polish painter Taddeo Kuntze (1727 – 1793). On the churchyard, in 1435, Giacomo di Vico was beheaded for insubordination, for he had taken possession of vast territories of the Tuscia already subject to the Holy See.