SAINT AUGUSTINE’S CHURCH
Built between 1765 and 1766 after the designs of Nicola Fagioli – a follower of Luigi Vanvitelli, on a site originally occupied by a small Church dedicated to Saint Vincent and later on, by a second one dedicated to The Madonna della SS. Trinità. The bell tower, with the typical bulb coverage which can still be seen today, seems to belong to the second of the preexisiting constructions. Its internal layout forms a Latin cross with a single aisle and intercomunicating side chapels. The altars were built using different polychrome marble. Worth of notice are the wooden confessional boxes, presumably carved out by the same Fagioli. On the ceiling, in the center of the nave, there is a large fresco by the Polish painter Taddeo Kuntze (1727-1793), depicting Saint Augustine’s apotheosis. Just above the Saint, one can admire the Eternal Father surrounded by a glory of angels; two female figures placed between Christ’s cross and the dove of the Holy Spirit, representing science and faith. Below the Saint, fallen to the floor, lie the heretic Manete, Donato and Pelagio. The high altarpiece together with one of the side altars were also attributed to Kuntze. Another precious work of art can be found here: the so called Madonna della Trinità, an 18th century painting from the Senese School, representing the Virgin holding the Child. To the right of the Church there is a former convent, built in 1644 by the Augustinians, who later also undertook the Church’s construction works.